Monday, February 1, 2021

Just Beyond The Dream


It was back in the early 90’s when I landed my dream job working as a publicist at American Movie Classics (AMC) working with Hollywood icons like Donald O'Connor, Debbie Reynolds, and Liza Minelli.  

One of my first assignments was to embark upon my first PR stint called,  “All Aboard! Riding The Rails of American Film.”  My job was to book interviews with news outlets from the hills of California, through the corn fields of Iowa, into the “The Windy City” of Chicago for AMC Host, Bob Dorian as we traveled cross country on a vintage, passenger train. 

The purpose of this production was to chronicle how the rails and Hollywood together reflected the passion, love and innocence of America's past, while capturing the thrills, suspense and romance on the big screen.  

Who better to do that than Bob Dorian, prime-time host of American Movie Classics who displayed his life-long zest for Hollywood classics...

Me, his very green, yet determined, “got something to prove” publicist... 

An eager and hungry freelance writer, named Ken Carlton and a wine sommelier whose name I can’t recall. 

I’ll save the details of the PR tour by train for another blog post, but it’s fair to say that what AMC set out to emulate in their one hour special,  was 100% authentic. 

The thrills and suspense of riding the first passenger train through The Royal Gorge in The Rocky Mountains (which hadn’t seen a passenger train since the 1890’s) was indescribable. 

Although there was no romance, I can tell you that the bond which developed between us all left an everlasting imprint on my heart.  Which is why I am writing this.  

I want to tell you about Beyondish - The result of what started as a passion project of that “hungry” free lance writer, Ken Carlton who rode the rails of American film with me back in the 90’s. “

Beyondish assists in not only finding the restaurant to which locals go, but discovering the “talk-worthy” dishes at that restaurant.  The best part is that the reviews are written and curated by the people who live there. 

Join me in congratulating my dear friend Ken for the birth of his brilliant, brain-child and check out Beyondish 

Finally, remember there’s no better time than now to support local entrepreneurs and businesses!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment